Friday 14 September 2007

Do you Fit Your Face



Ilona Niemi

Faces and places I am not so sure about the thinking behind the study in which I found this illustration - the blue one on the lower left, in a regional Scottish newspaper but it was the image that caught my eye. I think I was putting some newspaper on the floor after my washing machine had an embarrassing little accident (a leak) when I saw it. Anyway it reminded me of an artist friend who I met on the net through art process dot com.

Her name is Ilona Niemi and I think she is a very interesting artist ...... she has this longterm concern in her work with making numerous versions in oil paint on wood of the same face. I believe it is the face of a childhood friend of hers that went missing. See more about this on her blog where she has documented their progress.

She also makes some lovely idiosyncratic charcoal drawings which I think she sometimes cuts out and sort of forward mounts them over the picture surface so that they cast a shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there
Its always good to have a response to posts and if you'd like to,
sign up to receive my bi monthly newsletter..................................
The link to it is on the horizontal navigation bar at the top of the blog.