Wednesday 19 March 2008

Adespos ( which means Anonymous )






I was going to upload some images, documenting the making of this - but it's pretty boring and basic really. That is something I have gotten more and more into doing since being a blogger but I think also from being part of the printmakers group on Flickr.
The first thing I wanted to do was to find a profile image of a woman from Sudan ( I was thinking of Darfur, as I was making this) and locating that image wasn't easy. I did find a woman eventually, then I drew it onto the mill board, which I eventually located here in the studio - it had to be the right thickness and weight.

Years ago I had made a portfolio/slipcase at Ormond Road Print Workshop in Finsbury Park. North London ( it seems that it no longer exists now) and had used this technique whereby you gouge out your design from the mill board and then cover the board in a thin fabric such as a lightweight calico which then gives you an embossment effect.

I cannot understand why when I did this the design although gouged reasonably deep did not seem sufficiently 'pronounced'. Therefore I needed to adhere a thin card profile and encircling ring, onto the board surface to ensure that my profile would be raised/visible.
So after two coats of fabric and everything that could go wrong, going wrong - I was able to move on to the inner contents, as it were.
I made two "linings" one using an etched textual work in the background which worked really well visually but ultimately it was the sparsity of the Hahnemuhle ground that I felt reflected the 'feel" I was going for.

3 comments:

  1. I think the embossment came out great. And I love the envelope with the handwriting on it.
    Will you have an opportunity to go to Japan for the exhibit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie B, that means a lot to me as I admire you very much as an artist and a printmaker. I think I may have been inspired to some extent by your piece "the Rape of Darfur".

    I don't think I will be going to Japan or any of the other places that they are exhibiting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aine, this is so lovely. It's a little like a book, too. I love the way it opens and reveals things.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there
Its always good to have a response to posts and if you'd like to,
sign up to receive my bi monthly newsletter..................................
The link to it is on the horizontal navigation bar at the top of the blog.