Wednesday 19 March 2008

Your Documents Please



I have become abysmal at posting to my blog so thought I would make an effort to catch up with myself.

I spend the last week making this piece for the above titled exhibition project. It appealed to me because of bing connected to identity although the limitation in size did initially bother me. Who could imagine that such a small sized artwork could involve so much effort. The size was 13 x 18 cm (5 x 7 inches). The passports for Britain and Ireland are actually smaller so I am glad that the "picture area" as such, was not dependent, on your own passport/nationality. I have dual nationalities - because I was born in England and adopted in Ireland. I always think that that's a good thing - you never know when it might come in handy.

At first I thought I would make a photograph of a young woman wearing a strangely fabricated Aran textile(woolen) "balaclava" of sorts. I did actually make one and then I took some photos of it ...but it just wasn't "happening" as an idea so I then went on to the idea of a stateless person(s?) with no written name and no country and that's what my document represented in the final analysis. Here's the balaclava photos, which of course I couldn't resist playing about with in Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there
Its always good to have a response to posts and if you'd like to,
sign up to receive my bi monthly newsletter..................................
The link to it is on the horizontal navigation bar at the top of the blog.