Wednesday 19 March 2014

Reworking a Large Collagraph Print



Among other things..........I have been working on larger prints that don't quite meet my standards although they were mostly finished up to a point at one time in their 'lives'.  One of these was a collagraph print.  I have about 5 proofs of it and it seems a shame for them to be just sitting there in the plan chest in a state of incompleteness.  Its a print  that was made during a rurally based, printmaking residency.  It came about after I had encountered a sheep that was stuck on the ground where a gate had fallen on top of it.    I tried to get someone to come and deal with it and they freed it and it was alright  - none the worse for wear, surprisingly.   Here is the print............I think I was never really happy with the 'bear' or generalized creature  (or whatever) that was in those 4 squares, on the left.  




So I was thinking about what else I could do with it.  Of course at first I was thinking new bear new bear..........so I had a look around and came up with this one .......




So I worked on it a little and was even prepping it as a positive for a photo etch..........but then thought NO NO NO.  
I was thinking no I want to make THIS bear,  this new one as a unique etching, in itself.  And anyway after trying out a mock-up in Photoshop - I did'nt feel it would actually work out satisfactorily.




So I went back to the drawing board which involved thinking a little bit beyond the immediate and the obvious........well that's what I was thinking to myself .  What if I placed some kind of transparent / translucent chine colle paper onto the creature and then kind of.........well I wasn't too sure (what?) beyond that.............. but I thought I'd try it out anyway.



OK......... the photo- mock up does'nt look as good as the actual effect of placing the paper I had, on top of the critter, but I did like how it looked.  So now I am thinking what I will place on top of it.  Also I have several kinds of pale natural colored Japanese papers and I will select the one that works best.

So the next thing I was'nt happy with,  was that patch on the  top right hand side of the print  - that's a difficult one to 'patch up' so to speak.  Well I was thinking of maybe scanning in directly from the print itself.  Like directly below the area that needs working on,  that centre right area of the print.  Then if I can get it to print out in a satisfactorily matching color,  I can chine-colle that onto the print with a plate over it. 




and then the question - what to print over that area?  It needs to be light and fine lined so as not to have too much 'weight' visually.  Well I am still at the stage of working that one out, at the moment.
we shall see ...............we shall see.


1 comment:

  1. I love the space in your piece, it looks cold and smooth. The addition of the little reindeer is great as it creates another point of interest, lovely to see you blogging :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there
Its always good to have a response to posts and if you'd like to,
sign up to receive my bi monthly newsletter..................................
The link to it is on the horizontal navigation bar at the top of the blog.